Generates closed-tube, hands-free purified double-stranded DNA
Ideal for high throughput screening and STR, PCR, and qPCR
forensicGEM Sperm is our new name for our previous forensicGEM Sexcrime kit – same product, same formulation – just a new name.
Each kit contains PDQeX forensicGEM, Acrosolv, ORANGE+ buffer, and tubes
The PDQeX forensicGEM Sperm kit offers a simple hands-off method for DNA extraction and purification of sperm. The purified DNA extraction is proven for Y chromosome-specific real time PCR assay, and for sperm lysis as part of a differential extraction procedure.
Using MicroGEM’s PDQeX Nucleic Acid Extractor, there are only two simple steps – quick sample prep and temperature-controlled DNA extraction and purification. This closed-tube, automated approach does not use inhibiting chemicals, such as SDS, mercaptoethanol and DTT, so no additional wash steps are required. DNA yields are preserved and processing time is significantly reduced. This approached generates purified double-stranded DNA ready for high-throughput screening and is ideal for STR, PCR and qPCR applications.
- Comprehensive lysis of sperm cells in 20 minutes
- Simplified, hands-off workflow with no additional purification steps
- Extracts DNA from sperm in very small volumes and with very few sperm
- Reduced handling protects the integrity of the sample
Sperm cells are a difficult type of cell to lyse, often requiring qPCR and STR-inhibiting chemicals such as SDS, mercaptoethanol and DTT, to lyse sperm cells. These chemicals are toxic to downstream processes and must be removed via purification steps. These steps are time-consuming and result in a loss of DNA, making it not possible to work with very small numbers of cells since DNA is lost at every step.
The PDQeX forensicGEM sperm lysis kit uses our proprietary reagent, Acrosolv, to lyse sperm without the use of chemicals that inhibit qPCR and PCR. The closed tube system and reduced handling ensure yields are preserved, extraction times are significantly shorter, and the risk of contamination is minimized. Additional benefits:
- the ability to detect the best sample to send for amplification
- the ability to detect the presence of male DNA on samples where serology would not be an effective screening tool
- reduced false positives
- the ability to predict differential results
- the ability to send samples with overwhelming female DNA directly to Y STR
- Inhibition and degradation detection.